Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Courage To Reach Out

Good Morning Everyone,

Last night my husband and I went to a farmers
market street fair in our local area. It had
been really hot all day, and finally the weather cooled
down and there was a nice breeze. So we walked
around the many booths, looking at all the fresh fruits
and veggies. There were many hand made crafts,
and jewelry, it was really nice to get out for a while
and just walk around.

We sat down at a outdoor cafe and had a light dinner
and watched people go by. This was very reminiscent
to my husband and I of times in his country.

We laughed together that when you are younger
you are the one who is out busy and looking at everything,
with lots of places to go and things to see. But when
you get older, you are the lookie loos, watching
people walk by and just relaxing.

There was a very unusual young man that walked
by us. A thick head of curly black hair. He seemed
to be wearing some kind of uniform. He had olive
color skin, and was different looking from the average
person. I sat and watched him for a while and wondered
what kind of work he did, and what kind of person he might
have been. He had a purposeful walk, and for a minute
it seemed to me he was angry.

There was a singer
playing the guitar and singing soft soothing music right
in the middle of the outdoor cafe. The young man with
the curly hair came over and asked if he could speak
inbetween songs. He stood up and said, good evening
everyone! I wanted you to know that Jesus Christ
loves you so much, and came to die for your sins.
He wants to be your Savior.
And that when you need Him he will always be there
for you. He will never leave you or forsake you.
Jesus said draw close to me and I will draw close to you.
He was passionate in his speech, focused, and carried
his worn Bible in his hands.

The crowd was astonished at the young mans speech.
I saw some people smirk, and some were very happy.
But the young man was intense, and full of fervor
for his love for God. He didn't hesitate because of
people's opinions. He stood out in a crowd. A young
man full of hope in Christ in a crowd that wanted
nothing to do with him for the most part. It was striking
to me to see one so young take such a bold stand.
He was ordinary looking in a way, yet powerful in
appearance. I pray God uses this young man powerfully
to reach many for Christ. His courage and passion
is a powerful lesson for us all.

How easy it is to judge on appearance, and write
people off. But God will use any of us. We need
to have the courage of this bold young man and
reach out to others daily and tell them Jesus loves
them and died for them.

Take time to notice people and reach out.
That person may need to hear what you have
to say, and they may need a helping hand
or a word of encouragement, or the kindness
of a stranger. Let God show you who to speak to,
and don't hesitate. There may be a serious reason for it.

I hope you enjoy the story below, it touched and blessed
me and it reminded me of some things my husband and I
are facing.

much love to you all,
millie


´°`·.,¸¸,.·´°`·.,¸¸,.·´°`·.,¸¸,.·°°´·.,¸¸,.·´°`·.,¸¸,.·´°`·.,¸¸,.·´°



"Please Understand"

It was only a family restaurant specializing in vegetable,
not anything fancy anyone would care to write home to mother
about. The diners were seated before being presented with
silverware wrapped in paper napkins alone with a single page
menu before being asked, "What can I bring you to drink?"

Alone at one table I saw a waitress at one table with a gray,
plastic tray busily wrapping more silverware when she turned,
and with a smile, I saw her speak to an elderly gentleman
alone at a table. Curiosity got the best of me as to why she
would devote any time to this man. From his dress and age, it
was obvious he was not any one of social stature, so he must
have been a friend or regular customer she knew.

As I waited for my food, I could not keep my eyes off this man.
Gingerly, and with hands trembling so hard, he could hardly get
food into his mouth, but with hands he could not direct, he
wiped his mouth after each bite. To the obvious, he may have
seen to be out of place in such a crowd, but the obvious is
not always the true story. I wondered about his life's
experiences. I wondered about his family, and why he was dining
alone. What was his life's work? Was his wife dead? Whose
father was he?

To most, he would only be a hindrance. To a physician, he
would only be a Medicare number. To a salesperson, he may
only be a confused shopper. To the traveler, he would be a
driver going too slow. We lose our place in line when we
age, and the world rushes by. When our spouse dies and our
children get grown and gone, there is, seemingly, no place
appointed for us.

I am already at the door of this man's place in life, but when
I step into the room, I hope there will be a smiling face
willing to recognize me. Please look at me and not see only
a Medicare number, but a face and a person. When I am driving
and the glaring lights seem more intense because of cataracts,
please just go around without blowing a horn. If I hold up the
line because a happy thought from long ago occurred to me from
happier times, please just speak, smile and understand. I will
try not to bother.
--Lawrence Brotherton

No comments: