Pages

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The Urgency of Prayer

copyright Millie Plastaras 7/1/2009

Before you read this, let me premise it with this thought:
We are to sharpen one another spiritually. If something
challenges you spiritually to change, and grow, and
recognize your flaws spiritually, it is a help.. to grow
in Christ. We should not neglect such concepts
even if we feel ashamed, or defensive or angry someone
would dare challenge us. A servant of Christ
has to be open to growth, and change.

Recently I was in a chat room, which I rarely am anymore,
and a person I had known for a while inquired as to my health.
Looking back now.. I wonder if it was a polite question
and a honest response was not particularly welcome.

I expressed that I had chronic pain and some other problems,
but that I was in good spirits, and was at peace with my situation.
But then I mentioned my daughter who has developed
some very severe symptoms, and she is in my heart and
prayers constantly. In the last two years she has
developed neurological problems, very unexpectedly,
and at 44 she is now using a walker. Before you stop
reading now.. the point of this whole devotion is how
often we neglect prayer and the need for compassion
for others. Please don't stop reading now.. this is a
timely and important message for us all.

When I asked in the chat if anyone would pray.. out of
36 people fighting over religion...only 2 offered to pray for
my daughter. I repeated it again, and got 1 more offer.
Astounding to me. Here we are fighting about God,
churches and having this need to persuade people
over our "religious" way of thinking and yet we
are neglecting the most basic of our duties. To love
one another as God loves us. Are we our brother's keeper?
Absolutely! We are to be pray for the needs of one another
and carry one another's burdens.

Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will
fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

How many of you can say you are carrying anyone
else's burdens for them? My guess is one out of 100.
Honestly. We have become detached, uncaring,
far too busy to be ministering to the personal needs
of one another.. and to be honest.. some don't want
to be bothered and don't want to hear it!! (At this
point, please review your own attitude, and see
where you fit in this)

How many people did you pass by today,
or know were going through something but you were too busy?

Towards the end of conversation, a lady came
in the room, and said why are you always worried?
You should be praying. Here she had just come in,
and honestly, I am not sure she wanted to know the
full scope of what I was talking about. Does anyone?
Does anyone care about those who are hurting
or suffering, or is it too heavy for you to bear?

Was it about me worrying, or having a heart
that is turned in compassion for those whose
suffering I see. My heart is constantly lifting
them in prayer. They need comfort and hope!

What if Christ had felt this way when He was asked
to bear all our filthy sins and diseases and illnesses
upon himself upon the cruel cross? What if he had said "sorry,
I am too busy, you can die in your sins." Sorry, I am too
busy I cannot bear your burdens, or listen to your heartaches.
Sorry, I have to go visit with my disciples.. maybe next week,
make a appointment ok? Let's keep in touch.

Would He have done this? No.. He had a servants heart,
a call from God on his life, and he was obedient unto death.

What are you obedient unto? Who are you putting first in
your life? What is your first priority?

Is this important? ABSOLUTELY. It affects every
area of your life and ever relationship you will
ever have or ever have had.

If our gospel is hid.. it is hid to the lost and dying... and
if you cannot take the time out for them.. your christianity is
in vain. You are not about your Father's business.

It is that simple.

My friends, each of you has burdens, each of you
has heartaches, a past, each of you is lonely, or hurting.
How can we neglect each other and be so busy?
What could be so consuming we would forget about
basic human needs for prayer and compassion.

For any of you who care to know.. this is what
is happening to my daughter.
Click here: YouTube - Bad Episode
This is not her, but it is exactly what she is going through.
If any of you finish this video and are not moved to
compassion I would be shocked. There is suffering
in this world, beyond what anyone should bear.

Let us be about our Father's business, let us love
one another and carry burdens, and pray for each
other daily, and keep a open heart and listening ears
for those in need. How can we do less than the best for
the master?

love
millie

No comments: