Pages

Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Ultimate Argument

The Ultimate Argument
Copyright Millie Plastaras 9/6/2007

Recently I received a email from someone whose
friend had gone through some rough experiences,
and was questioning God. They wanted to know
why their prayers remained unanswered, and why
life had so many harsh, tragic events.

That evening as I was in a chat room, it was filled
with many atheists. They use a lot of different routines
in Christian chats. Some come to mock and make fun
of people, and tell jokes to each other as if it is great
sport. Some come to challenge with so called intelligent
debates on why God does not exist, and how weak
Christians must be to need a God. Some come with
scientific arguments about evolution, no proof of
creation (in their limited thinking) and how
"Christians" only believe what they are taught.

Many love to say, you are just like sheep, you never
think for yourself, you always need someone to lead you.

All of these things have one thing in common. People
do not believe in God. They lack faith, or they deny his
existence, and follow their own logic and opinions.

So, it gave me a lot of food for thought. Let us follow this
argument to it's ultimate conclusion. I hope you will bear
with me, and read this whole letter, because I felt God laid
this on my heart.

Suppose the person who wrote in, and said their life
was filled with problems, and God never answered their
prayers and they were tired of praying and just didn't know
if they believed in God anymore, actually decided to deny
the existence of God. Suppose they won that argument.

Suppose God suddenly did not exist, and there was nothing
else to argue about.

What then?

You rule your own life? Can you then stop sickness?
Can you overcome the tragedies of disease, car accidents,
tragedies, loss? What do you have power over?

Can you stop death?

I mean you are the one telling me God doesn't exist.

Who is in Control if there is no God? We are at the whim
of fate, or nature?

Ok.. what now? What are you going to use your power for?
Just to live life from day to day whatever way you want?

What happens when troubles come? Who will you blame then?
You no longer have "God" to blame. It must be your fault or someone
else's then right? Ok, if that is true.. and you find someone to blame,
will you become bitter? Will you become cynical? Will you
feel helpless? How is your "hope" level.

I mean God doesn't exist, what do you hope for.
It is just this life, and that's it? Live, drink and be
merry for tomorrow we die?

So when someone tells you God doesn't exist... and they
are firm in their beliefs, and they think they rule their life,
even they will have days where they get frustrated, feel
lonely, feel hurt, have tragedies, get diseases and die.

Just like the rest of us.

I want to show you a article I found in my dad's Bible. It had
a profound effect on my thinking, just as many things Dad taught
me did.

An Infidel's Testimony

An infidel once made the following testimony:

"Did I firmly believe as millions say they do, that the knowledge and
practice of religion in this life influences destiny in another,
religion would be to me everything! I would cast aside earthly
enjoyments as dross, earthly cares as follies, and earthly thoughts
and feelings as vanity. Religion should be my first waking
thought and my last image before sleep sank me into unconsciousness.
I should labor in its cause alone. I would take no thought for
the morrow of eternity alone. I would esteem one soul gained
for heaven worth a life of suffering. Earthly consequence
should never stay my hand nor seal my lips. Earth, it's joys
and its grief's, would occupy no moment of my thoughts. I would
strive to look upon eternity alone, and on the immortal souls
around me, soon to be everlastingly miserable or everlastingly happy.
I would go forth to the world and preach to it in season and out
of season and my test would be, "What shall it profit a man
if he shall gain the whole world, and yet lose his own soul?"

When C. T. Studd, the great Cambridge cricketer of England, read
these words, they made such a tremendous impression upon him
that he gave up a legal career to go to the dark places of
the earth as a missionary. He says: " They decided me at once
to love only and utterly for Christ."

While reading his Bible one day Mr. Studd apparently applied
the story of the rich young ruler to himself and gave away his
entire fortune. At that time it was a half million dollars, and he
followed Christ in voluntary poverty. His last term of service
was in the hart of Africa for nearly thirty years without a furlough!

Listen to what Mr. Studd on Whosoever of you cannot renounce
all he has, he cannot be my disciple.

Don't seek a long life -- Christ had a short one.

Don't live in luxury, Christ lived and died poor.

Don't live in pleasure, Christ pleased not himself.

Don't live in fame, Christ made himself of no reputation.

Don't live at ease, Christ suffered for YOU the shame and
scourge of the cross.

Every saved person knows the truthfulness of the infidel's
comment. We know that there is heaven, and that there is a hell,
because the inspired Word of God tells us so. We know that
all of mankind is destined to spend eternity in one of two
places; those who accept Christ are saved, and those who
reject Him are lost. Therefore it is the supreme duty of
every born again believer is to work for God, and be a sermon
so as to "by all means some may be saved."

So my friend, how serious is your relationship with God?
The Bible says we must be ready in season and out of season
to tell people why we believe what we believe, and to have
the word of God planted in our heart, and live it so others
may see our good works and want to have a relationship with
Jesus Christ.

Can people around you see that? Are you showing them
that eternity waits for their decision? Are you showing
them you have hope? Do you show them your relationship
with God brings you peace? Are you getting answers to prayers?

My friend, I remember years ago, being with a lady who
had prayed 10 long years her husband would come to know
the Lord as his Savior. She prayed day in and day out faithfully.
Loving her husband and caring for him, even though he
often made her very miserable. God did change the life
of that man eventually. He brought circumstances one
by one into that man's life until He sought God for himself.

How many of you will linger in prayer? Remember in
the garden of Gethsemane? Jesus asked the disciples
pray one hour with me.. pray. They fell asleep.
Are you like that?

You have to walk the walk and talk the talk.
Souls hang in the balance.

God says we are either for Him or against Him.

Can a infidel speak greater things about God than you are?

Oh my friend, get on your knees and ask God to lead you
into paths of righteousness, and give up all that clings
to you that keeps you away from Him. Seek that which
is good and rebuke and flee from that which is evil.

Remember
Only one life, will soon be Past
Only what is done, for Christ will last.

Live like you believe it.
Someone's soul hangs in the balance.

No comments: