Pages

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Loving Fervently



Loving Fervently

copyright Millie Plastaras 11/26/2003

Now that you have made your souls pure by obeying
the truth, you can have TRUE love for your
Christian brothers and sisters. So love each other deeply
with all your heart.
1 Peter 1:22

The King James version of this verses says to
love one another with a pure heart fervently.

This got me to thinking tonite. If we are all in
the family of God, and we are to have clean hands
and a pure heart, and love each other fervently,
what happened? I mean how long since you
knew Christians who loved you fervently? Why do
we have such a hard time loving each other?

Why do we sit and count each other's faults?

It is because we do not have a pure heart, or pure
motives. WE have become a bit blind about this,
and really.. all of us need to review this kind of thinking.
Our thinking has become selfish, and somehow
we think if we are different, somehow that makes us better.
Somehow.. being right has become more important
than learning to get along and love each other
fervently for Christ's sake.

Christians don't compromise God's word in their spirit.
They live it, breathe it, speak it, cling to it, and it is
their life. They live according to it. It would seem to follow
then.. that loving one another would be a real
priority in our lives.

Perhaps we need to go back to the drawing board on
this one. Perhaps it is time we got back to basics.
Just love me. Even if you don't agree, even if we look
at things differently, even if we were raised differently.
Just love me. Fervently. Because He said to.

When you get to the bottom line. This takes the heart
of a servant. A person who can say, I will humble myself,
quit putting my thinking first, and put the priorities of God first.
I will learn to love fervently, and if I don't I will
go to prayer, and ask God to help me love those who
have hurt me, who have disagreed with me.
And I will pray till I feel a breakthrough.

Heavenly Father

God help us to learn to love each other, and speak
with kindness. And find ways to help others,
and bring joy into their lives. Help my words and deeds
to speak of your love. Help me to learn to forgive,
even if others don't ask for forgivness,
and to learn to value other's opinions. And not be angry
when we disagree, but to just love them.. because you
said it was the right thing to do. Help me to have a heart
after God. Help my thinking to line up with your word.
Help me to be your servant, and not try to be a commander.

Help me to love others fervently, daily, and hourly,
prayerfully, and humbly, and unselfishly. Just
as you love me when I am unlovely in what I say and
do, help me have that precious unconditional love
of yours flowing through me.

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight, oh Lord, my strength and my
redeemer.

in Jesus name.
Amen

remember
Only one life, will soon be past
Only what is done For Christ will last
For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

1 comment:

Canyon Shearer, DMin said...

A nice write-up concerning a very real problem in the church. George Barna found that 9% of Christians have repented and have faith in Jesus Christ; George Carlin put it best when he said that the modern church is a place to compare clothes.

One of the most important verses in the Bible is 1 Peter 1:10, which reminds those following Christ to examine themselves to ensure they are actually Children of God; perhaps the best way I've found to do that is by comparing myself to Galatians 5:22-23.

Galatians 5:22 tells us that the fruit of the SPIRIT should be upon us. Those being Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, Temperance...those are the fruits of the SPIRIT. If you are missing one, then it may be in your best interest to make sure the others are imputed from God, and not your own works.

The difference between Christians and every other religion...you can be a bad hindu, a bad wiccah, a bad buddhist, a bad muslim, a bad humanist, a bad catholic...but there is no such thing as a bad Christian. If you are bad, then chances are you aren't a Christian; if you have not love, you have not Christ.

1 Cor 13 makes that abundantly clear.