Pages

Friday, February 23, 2007

The Jewel of Today



Good Morning Everyone,

As I read today's story below, it brought back
so many memories of times I should have done
things for or with people and did not.

There were a period of years where I used to beat
myself up for ways I thought I had failed my children.
And I am sure there were years they were angry
with me for ways they thought I should have been
different. Fortunately God changed all of us
and I am utterly thankful. He helped me forgive
myself for my shortcomings, and move on.

You know what? There are no perfect parents.
Although my children are wonderful parents, I am
sure they are not perfect either, and sometimes have
regrets. The secret is to learn and do the best you
can and not beat yourself up, and to love others
with that unconditional love God bestows upon us daily.

Recriminations about your past don't profit you,
other than to learn from your mistakes and move on.

Unforgiveness about people who hurt us in the past
only weighs our spirit down with the bondage of
unforgiveness, keeping us from moving on
and enjoying today's life, free and clear of the past.

Unfettered, available to do greater things
than dwell on failures or internal pain.

Unfettered, and able to be filled with the new joy
of life and a purpose and hope for living, to be
renewed in the presence of God and strengthened by his
grip upon us.

The lessons life teaches us are so valuable. I truly believe
we never grow unless we are hit with hard times. I think
because it is in those times we truly seek God, and
not our own pursuits. It is that time we draw close
to Him and desire his guidance and will. Oh, if only
we would have that heart everyday.

In those times, we realize our failings, and
realize God's forgiveness, and find peace within his arms.

Friends, love people while you can. Serve them
with a heart of a servant, with a mind turned towards
ministering towards others. Not God what can
you do for me, but God what can I do for your kingdom
today.

When we do this, it gets our minds off our own
self centered problems and into a bigger framework
where we can view our mindset, our past, and
change it, and make a difference in the world around us.

The Jewel of today, is a great gift.
Love fervently.
Forgive easily, even if they do not ask.
Share the gospel with everyone you meet,
with love, compassion and fervent prayer.
Take time to be affectionate and giving
to those in your life.
Take time to do things with those you love
and tell them you care about them, while
they are still in your life.

These are things you will never regret.
They will become "jewels" in your memories
as you grow older.

The steps of a good man are directed and established
of the Lord, when He delights in his way and he busies
himself with his every step. Though he fall, he shall
not be utterly cast down, for the Lord grasps his hand
in support and holds him.
Psalm 37:23-24

Please take time to read Psalm 37 today. Read it
let it sink into your spirit, receive the truth of it for your
life. The first 7 verses are a precious sermon we all
need to read daily, for the growth and health of our
soul and spiritual life.

love always
millie


***********************************


Today's Jewels
Author: Anonymous

The older I grow, the more I am convinced that life is one big transition broken up into many segments.

When I was a child, everything I held dear was taken from me, and some of the things that could have made all the difference in my life, as a child, were never to be. The insecurities I carried, like a locked diary, into adulthood caused me to be over-protective of my children....and yet, I am tempted to ask, "Can we ever be too protective of the most treasured gifts God has given to women?"

The days I dreaded came too soon. My children grew up, and I grew old. Now I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror, or look at a photo of me, and the first startling thought is, "Who is that woman? I don't think I know her." Where is that young mother who always looked ten years younger than her true age; and whose dreams for her children, despite her fears, carried her through her days? Like the passing of the wind, she is gone...and I jokingly remark to my gray-haired friends, "I knew you would grow old, but not me!"

But the reality is … the process of life and death happens to each of us. It is what we do with the days in-between that count for eternity.

Some days, like one this past Christmas season, I become too melancholy. On that particular day, fat flakes of snow bounded to the ground, as I decorated the Christmas tree alone, again … one more year. Like an untimely visitor, a haunting memory settled in on me. I always wanted the tree to look 'perfect', and when the kids begged to decorate it, I gave each child, three or four ornaments...just enough to make them think they had done the job. After I tucked them in bed, I rearranged it to my own liking.
WHY DID I HAVE TO HAVE IT MY WAY???

If only I could've known all the years that were waiting on me, when no one would be here to say, "Mommy, please, can I decorate the tree?" Finally, I have it my way....If only I had known, I would've been more relaxed, and I would not have allowed fear and insecurity to motivate my days, or my love.

Now, here I sit, an older, and hopefully wiser woman, drinking my bitter cup. But, I smile, as I realize I am not really alone, for old Tabby is purring at my feet, resting in my love for her.

Why can't we treasure, like priceless jewels, the moments God gives to us? Why must we insist on gazing back into the past, with it's certain fears, or try to peek out, into the future, with it's unfounded ones.

Why can't we take a moment and look into the treasure box of life, and enjoy TODAY'S JEWELS … today?

"Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me." - Psalm 51:10

No comments: