Pages

Friday, February 16, 2007

A Conversation With God



Copyright Millie Plastaras 2/20/2004

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various
trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces
patience. But let patience have her perfect work,
that you may be perfect and complete.. wanting nothing!
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God,
who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and
it will be given to him.
James 1:1-5

That is a tough order!
Count it joy when I have problems?
Wow.... How do I get that attitude?
I find that being depressed or resentful
is a first reaction, and you want me to be joyful?
God I think I need some wisdom here.

God looks down upon us patiently shaking his head
and saying my child, looking back on your life,
do you not see how all the hard times in your life
only served to make you stronger?
Do you not see that each time you learned a valuable
lesson about what you needed to change, or
how you needed to trust me?
Did you not know I was with you?

God, I know you were with me, but it was really hard.
I wish you would find easier projects for me.
I don't want any more of those let's fix me in
three lessons. How about let's fix me in 10 lessons,
and they are all lighthearted sermons, and I don't
have to go through trials?
Doesn't that sound good?

No my child, the hardest times in life are the valleys
of our lives. And only when we have the valleys
do we learn to appreciate the mountains and the
meadows in life. For if we always had sunshine
we would never appreciate the rain.
And if we always have good times we never feel
a need to grow or change, and we never feel a need for
a living and powerful God.

But God........ (whining)
You always say that you won't give us more than you
can bear, but this last year, I really think you weren't
watching, because the burdens weighed me down.

My child, I noticed you were reacting that way.
I also noticed you were not praying. You were walking
around talking about your problems all the time,
and you were filled with worry and distress.
There were very few times you came and talked to me
and asked me for wisdom. Now, my dear child,
How am I supposed to get your attention?
How am I supposed to help you if you don't talk to me?

Father God, I didn't realize that I was not praying.
I thought I did. Looking back I realize now I thought
I could handle everything on my own, and now
I see, I really couldn't change or handle anything.
God, I am sorry for not coming to you sooner,
and asking for wisdom, the kind you give so freely
to those you love.

Child, the sorrows of this life, are suffered by all of
mankind
. It is a common thing. Even Jesus in his
life upon this earth suffered great sorrows. But
the sorrows are a refining time... they search our soul
and teach us a new way to go, and they teach us what
things we must let go of and leave behind. We learn
that sorrows no matter how hard to bear, direct
us to the throne of God. We learn power comes from
prayer.

My child, why do you pray so little?

God, I have really been busy. I have been working hard,
and there is always housework to do, or children
to take care of, or I am visiting my friends on the computer
a lot, and sometimes I read or watch television.

Child, I see your neglect of spiritual things.
And this is the very thing that must come first.
If this doesn't come first, nothing else will work out right.
You must get on your knees daily and talk to me,
and get to know me, and rely on me, and trust in me
and cling to me. For as the sorrows increase, so
shall my presence, and so shall my wisdom,
and so shall my mercy be upon those who seek me first.

Oh Father God, forgive me for neglecting you.
I see now, that I have spent much time on wasted pursuits,
and wasted time worrying, when you had the answers
all along. God give me a fresh revival within my
spirit, and help me to please you in all that I do.
Give me strength for this path you have chosen for me.

And God, could you save my family?
Help me to show them, that I know how to trust,
and that I find joy even in sorrows.

Let me be a example of a life of faith and not fear.

And God... I am so glad we had this talk today.
I needed to be reminded, I am supposed to be joyful
even when sorrows come. Because when sorrows
come, I am growing, and I know where the source
of my strength is... it is you precious Lord.

Now... it seems so clear.
I needed to be patient, and wait upon you, and learn
all that you are trying to tell my heart
.

You are my hiding place, my strength,
and my source of daily renewal.
Now, I can be perfect and complete in my spirit,
lacking nothing, because I know to go to Almighty God
first, and everything else, will work out.

Growing in Christ
is a process I see, and along the way trials come,
but they do not have to defeat us or overwhelm us!

God smiles, knowing in his heart how very
human and weak we are.
Yet, His love for us, is beyond our wildest
dreams, and his desire to help us through
every detail of our days, is constant and never
changing. God knows.. we will see, if we but seek Him.
He is there waiting, even now.

remember
Only one life
will soon be past
Only what is done
For Christ will last

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was just speaking with my Pastor's wife today about the very same things as you have written here. I am very thankful for your posts and will continue to visit often. Have a blessed day! :)