Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Nighttime of The Soul

Good Morning Dear Friends,

As I get up each morning, and seek fresh
inspiration each day to write you it can often
be challenging. Sometimes the very thing
I am telling others to do, I need to do myself.
And therefore must take my own lesson to heart
for the day.

My heart is heavy this morning, for some
things my family is going through, and some
battles in my own life, and for a time, I really
felt keenly those burdens.

Then I thought about some things I had said
recently. Truly the only time we grow as
a person, and our spirit is strengthened is
when the dark, harsh times of life teach us
the lessons of waiting upon God, and not
being afraid. Realizing there is a purpose
for each of us and trusting in God to work it out.

How could I teach you lessons that were not
burned within my own heart by the trying of
fire to refine my own spirit? How can I
understand suffering if I do not suffer?
How can I grow if I never face new challenges?
How can I understand loss and grief in others
if I never go through it myself?

How can I complain when Christ suffered so much
more for me upon the cross?

These things teach us to comfort others as
we have been comforted, and learn the great
school of prayer and closing in with Christ
when the storms come against our hearts and
minds.

Also, learning to have joy in the midst of sorrow.
This is what true faith brings forth in the heart
of man. Faith is trusting that even in the storm,
God is master of it all, and we can rely on,
trust in, cling to, and hope in Him at all times.

I know this too shall pass, but until it does,
I know who the source of my strength is,
and I shall not take my eyes off of Him nor
let my faith in Him waver even a little.

Do not be frightened in the great night of
the trying of the soul, for through it the light
of Christ shines in the darkness and all
is comforted and strengthened by His touch
and prevailing power.

Dear God, Whatever circumstances are in our lives
today, make us realize you are with us in it.
And that each thing we go through is a spiritual
lesson of some sort, even if it is only about learning
to trust you above all. Refine us God, make us
beautiful in your sight, let the words of our
mouth, and the meditations of our heart
be acceptable in your sight, Oh Lord, our Strength,
Our Hope, and our Redeemer.

In Jesus precious name,
Amen.

When you pass through the waters I will be
with you, and through the rivers they shall not
overwhelm you; when you walk through
the fire you shall not be burned or
scorched, nor shall the flame kindle upon you.
For I Am the Lord Your God, the Holy One of
Israel, your Savior.
Isaiah 43:2-3

*************************************************

When Christ was in the world, He was despised by men; in the hour of need He was forsaken by acquaintances and left by friends to the depths of scorn. He was willing to suffer and to be despised; do you dare to complain of anything? He had enemies and defamers; do you want everyone to be your friend, your benefactor? How can your patience be rewarded if no adversity tests it? How can you be a friend of Christ if you are not willing to suffer any hardship? Suffer with Christ and for Christ if you wish to reign with Him. Had you but once entered into perfect communion with Jesus or tasted a little of His ardent love, you would care nothing at all for your own comfort or discomfort but would rejoice in the reproach you suffer; for love of Him makes a man despise himself. ... Thomas à Kempis (1380-1471), Of the Imitation of Christ, II.i. [1418]

No comments: