Pages

Thursday, December 14, 2006

On Being Content

Good Morning Everyone,

Are you content? Are you happy with your lot
in life? How many people around you, that you
observe regularly, do you know that are content
with their life, their circumstances and their
possessions?

My guess is that we hardly know anyone who is.
Most people want more than they have
Most people want a different life
Less Problems
More Money
Better Health
Better Circumstances.
And even if they have a good life to all outer
appearances, they are still not happy.

Women spend their days shopping till their credit
cards are maxed out and debt rules and reigns
in their lives...and still they don't have enough
"things".

Many men like to brag about who has the
best car, the best house, the best wife, the best
job, who got the best raise.

Anyone notice a theme in here?

Me, me, me. Life is all about what I want.

It is interesting to take a step back for a moment
and listen to what Paul said.

Not that I am implying that I was in any personal want,
for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to
the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted)
in whatever state (circumstances) I am in.
Philippians 4:11

This isn't easy is it? Why, I wonder? Why can
we not focus on what we do have and make
the best of it, rather than spending many days
and hours focusing on what we don't have
and feeling sorrowful?

This Christmas has been different for me and my
family. My husband and I being on a fixed income
have had to limit what we buy and I don't feel bad.
I feel very content. Why? My husband and I
are still here,in spite of numerous health issues
that have come about, we have a roof over our heads,
we have food for the day, a change of clothes,
and I know Jesus as Lord and Savior of my life,
I am truly blessed, truly forgiven, loved by God.

What more could I ask for? Would more money make
me happy? My husband has relatives who are millionaires,
who have a whole nother set of problems because of
all the money. Are they more happy than me? I do not
see that they are. Everyone has problems, everyone
has trials, sooner or later everyone will have physical
problems.

So what do we do with this info?
Learn to make the best of what you have.
Learn to look around you for what you do have
and say a prayer of thanks everyday.
Learn to find the beauty of life in sound
relationships, in giving to those in need.
Learn to find personal freedom in forgiveness.
In noticing the beauty of nature, and the warm
home you have to live in and the quality of
food you have to eat.

So many in the world will never have what
you have, and yet you are discontent?

It is all a choice my friend. A state of mind.
As I woke up this morning, and thought of some
difficult things going on in my family, I gave them
to the Lord, who has all the answers, and I rejoiced
in the privilege of a new day, and the knowledge
of the gift of it. I am thankful for my friends,
and family and a heavenly Father I can talk to all
the time.

No matter what you are facing,
or what your circumstances are,
or what you do not have and wish you did,
you can learn to be content with your circumstances
and have a thankful heart, IF YOU CHOOSE.

I find this is a important subject.. because of
the many letters I get, and what I observe. If just
one person takes this to heart today, and readjusts
their thinking and it has a ripple effect on those
around them, I will consider this a outstanding blessing.

God bless you dear friends.. go forth and be
content. God is still on the throne.

love
millie



Let all men know and perceive and recognize your
unselfishness -- your considerateness,
your forbearing (forgiving and patient) spirit,
the Lord is near, He is coming soon.
And God's peace shall be yours, that tranquil state
of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so
fearing nothing from God and content with its earthly
lot of whatever sort that is, that peace which transcends
all understanding, shall garrison and mount guard
over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

******************************************************************



CONTENTMENT IS…

I heard the voice but couldn't see the person. She was on the other side of the locker, just coming in from her early morning swim. Her voice sounded like the morning itself-- bright, cheerful, and full of life. At
6:15 in the morning, it would catch anyone's attention. I heard its affirming tone.

"Delores, I really appreciated the book you picked up for me last week. I know the library was out of your way. I haven't been able to put the book down. Solzhenitsyn is a great writer. I'm glad you suggested him to me."

"Good morning, Pat," she greeted another swimmer. For a moment the melodious voice was silent, then I heard it again. "Have you ever seen such a gorgeous day? I spied a pair of meadowlarks as I walked over this morning. Makes you glad you're alive, doesn't it?"

The voice was too good to be true. Who can be that thankful at this time of the morning? Her voice had a note of refinement to it. Probably some rich woman who has nothing to do all day but sip tea on her verandah and read Solzhenitsyn. I suppose I could be cheerful at 6 A.M. if I could swim and read my way through the day. She probably even owns a cottage in the north woods.

I rounded the corner toward the showers and came face-to-face with a youthful voice. She was just packing her gear. Her yellow housekeeping uniform hung crisp and neat on her fiftyish frame. It was a uniform I'd seen before-- along with mops, brooms, dust cloths, and buckets. An employee of the facility at which I swim. She flashed a smile my way, picked up her plastic K-Mart shopping bag, and hurried out the door, spreading "Have a glorious day" benedictions as she went.

I still had the yellow uniform on my mind as I swam my laps and sank down among the foamy lather of the Whirlpool. My two companions were deep in conversation. At least one of them was. His tired, sad voice told tragic woes of arthritic knees, a heart aneurysm, sleepless nights, and pain- filled days.

Nothing was good or right. The water was too hot, the whirlpool jets weren't strong enough for his stiff knees, and his doctors had been much too slow in diagnosing his case. With his diamond-studded hand, he wiped the white suds out of his face. He looked ancient, but I suspected he too was fiftyish.

The yellow uniform and the diamond-studded ring stood out in striking, silent contrast, proof to me again that when God says, "Godliness with contentment is great gain," He really means it. This morning I saw both contentment and discontentment. I resolved never to forget.

By Ruth Senter

No comments: