Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

About That Sheep - Comfort




copyright Millie Plastaras 9/02/04

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want, He makes me to
lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside the still
waters, He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of
righteousness For His name's sake. Yea, though I walk
through the valley of shadow of death, I will fear no evil,
For You are with me. Your rod and Your staff comfort me.
You prepare a place for me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil, My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days
of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Psalm 23

We often hear in this modern society that people that follow
a certain way of life, are just sheep. They are brainwashed
and have no mind of their own. They are led about by
their nose, following the leading of those who have
brainwashed them. They seem to think being a sheep
is a bad thing.

I am here to proclaim to you today the good news of Jesus
Christ:

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward Him, and said,
Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.
John 1:29

Jesus was called the lamb (sheep) of God. His gentle
loving nature was one that set an example that forever
would ring of truth, nurturing love, great strength, and hope.

When someone calls me a sheep, I say hallelujah. I know
God, I know His provision and I have met His son. I am
a sheep in the flock of the Lamb of God who takes away
the sins of the world.

Psalm 23 is a very interesting and hopeful part of the Bible.
People should speak this out loud at least 3 times a day. It
has such meaning. A lot of it not known to modern society.

Let me try to explain to you a lesson I heard many years ago
about this Psalm that forever changed my thinking about
the provision of our Great God.

The Lord is my shepherd... I shall not want.

A shepherd knows the needs of his sheep and provides those
needs before they are even spoken. They are anticipated
by the shepherd and provided for in advance.

He makes me lie down in green pastures.

A sheep is very careful where they lay down. And a shepherd
prepares the ground they lay on, so that no thorns or thistles
will get in their wool. A shepherd prepares a place for His
sheep to rest that is perfect and comfortable and safe.

He leads me besides still waters.

A sheep will not drink from moving water. A shepherd makes
a dam with rocks or whatever is available so when the
sheep goes to drink, the waters they so desperately need
are calm and soothe the sheep. The shepherd knows
how to calm the greatest disturbance and what the solution is.

He leads me in paths of righteousness for His names sake.

The shepherd knows just the perfect path. This is one thing
the sheep don't need to concern themselves with. The
shepherd knows the path, what to look for and how to get
there. All the sheep have to do is move, and trust. They
will be led in safety and peace to their destination.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear
no evil, for You are with me! Your rod and your staff will
comfort me.

A shepherd knows that there will be dangers along his
chosen path. There will be predators who long to kill the sheep,
there will be rocks, and detours, and storms and many things
yet to face. But the shepherd has made provisions for them.
His rod will hold off any powers of darkness, or enemies, or
predators or storms of life. His staff will draw us to him when
we start to stray and bring us back into the fold where we
are safe, and within His will.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my
enemies.

When the sheep need to eat, the shepherd prepares that
place, just as he does their resting place. He knows there
will be enemies around, but he chooses a place where
he can watch over the whole flock. He makes sure that
any poison thistles or dangerous plants are removed.
And he makes sure it is a place where the sheep feel
peaceful enough to relax and eat. The provision
of the shepherd makes the meal even more precious
and joyful.

You anoint my head with oil.

A sheep often gets cuts or skin problems. A shepherd
will put soothing oil upon them to heal the sheep. The oil
that heals and sustains and brings restoration. The shepherd
knows exactly physical needs of each sheep. He knows
them all by name, and knows each of their individual
needs, and habits.

My cup runs over.

A sheep likes the water where it is easy to get to. So the water
at an easy vantage point where it is easy to partake of
reassures the sheep. The shepherd knows how to fill that
sheep with the living water that will nurture its body and bring
health. The shepherd is always aware of the depth of the
water and any surroundings and dangers. He knows the
sheep needs water to sustains it, and has great mercy
towards that sheep, providing the water that will attract it
most and make it feel comforted. Water that
fills that thirst of a sheep on a long journey, till it is
overflowing and sustaining in His body.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days
of my life

For as long as that sheep is alive, the shepherd will
give it good care and show mercy and love to it.
The Bible says that those that follow the Lord will find
mercy and strength. And that all the promises of the Lord's
are their inheritance. His goodness and mercies are new
every morning. His provision unlimited. His compassion
never ending. His solutions and power all encompassing.
All He is, is all we will ever need.

I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

The sheep knows the voice of His master. And when that
sheep listens to the soothing comforting voice of the master,
and follows his leading. He will make it home. He will find
a path set before Him known by the shepherd. And he will
find peace and comfort for his soul.

And the oil of the shepherd heals, and restores what
has been bruised or broken.

The sheep only need to learn to trust. And rest in
the provision of the Shepherd. And to be obedient,
and listen to the powerful lessons the shepherd teaches it.

This then is a life of hope, victory, and a life lived well.
A life with the Shepherd of our souls. Who will lead us all
home.

Oh if we could only keep that in our hearts and minds
daily and let it sustain us. Never again to worry or fear.
But to cling to that Shepherd and know our sufficiency is
from Him, not from anyone else. That our circumstances will
not defeat us, our losses will not destroy us, our illness will not
keep us down, our enemies will not be victorious and no
one can take us out of the Shepherds care.

How truly blessed we are.

I am the Good Shepherd, The good Shepherd gives His life
for His sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them,
and they follow me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall
never perish, neither shall anyone snatch them out of my hand.
My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all;
and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand.
I and my Father are One.
John 10:11, 27-30

The Lord is my Shepherd.... I shall not want.

remember
Only one life, will soon be past
Only what is done, for Christ will last

No comments: