Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Count It All Joy

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various
trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.
But let patience have it's perfect work, that you may be
perfect and complete, lacking nothing.
James 1:2-4

Definition of Joy:
Intense and especially ecstatic or exultant happiness

I can hear some of you say.. Joy in the midst of trials? Are you kidding? How am I supposed to be joyful when someone is hurt
or dying, or when I don't have enough money to go around,
or when my life feels miserable?

Let me ask you this pointed question. Does being sad make it
any better? What does being sad and depressed do to improve
your situation? To me it only clouds your thinking with a ton
of emotions that are almost unmanageable and out of control.
It makes it harder to have a clear, concise picture of your situation
and it controls your thinking. It actually drains you and
wears you out.

God said to bring every thought captive. Tall order
but absolutely necessary to be happy.

Can we do this when our emotions are ruling our spirit?

Why should we be joyful?

Jack Hayford said about this verse:
"The proper attitude in meeting adversity is to count it all
joy, which is NOT a emotional reaction but a deliberate
intelligent appraisal of the situation from God's perspective, viewing
trials as a means of moral and spiritual growth. We do not
rejoice in the trials themselves but in their possible results."

So we meet our problems face on with prayer, a sense of joy
that God will work things out in our lives and in the mean
while we will be growing and learning. Life contains many sorrows
and tragedies. WE can let it alter us until we are bitter
and depressed and forlorn or we can rise to the occasion and
face them and deal with them with courage, and a sense of
joy seeking God's wisdom and guidance and Fatherly provision
and love through it.

I am facing some big things ahead, and have just gone through
quite a few. I have learned to face them one day at a time,
one minute at a time if necessary and then, face what I must
as it comes. Don't look at tomorrow, don't fret about yesterday,
live in today and make the best of it you can. What you cannot
do, you must leave with God. You cannot live your life
in fear and sorrow and expect joy to be there. I choose to
be happy inspite of my circumstances.

I remember once reading a remark Rev. Billy Graham said
about the difficult times in his life:
"God I can hardly wait to see what you are going to do with this".

That my friends is a anticipation of faith in God.. .trusting, not
being afraid, relying on, clinging to and finding hope in Him.

Our circumstances do not RULE us. Our emotions should NOT
be controlled by them.

We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ
2 Corinthians 10:5 ESV

Dear God, help me control my thoughts today. Help me to realize
there is a bigger picture than what I see. And that while I trust
in you and do the best I can, you will work all things out for your
glory. Help me realize that life will not always be easy and
many times will be hard and seem overwhelming. But this
too shall pass. And you promised you would never leave
me or forsake me. Help me to live a life of faith and trust
and not fear and despair. Remind me when I forget this Father.
Help me to please you in all I say and do.
In Jesus precious name.
Amen.

No comments: