Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

An Infidels Testimony

An infidel once made the following testimony:

"Did I firmly believe as millions say they do, that the knowledge and practice of religion in this life influences destiny in another,
religion would be to me everything! I would cast aside earthly
enjoyments as dross, earthly cares as follies, and earthly thoughts and feelings as vanity. Religion should be my first waking thought and my last image before sleep sank me into unconsciousness.

I should labor in its cause alone. I would take no thought for
the morrow of eternity alone. I would esteem one soul gained
for heaven worth a life of suffering. Earthly consequence
should never stay my hand nor seal my lips. Earth, it's joys
and its grief's, would occupy no moment of my thoughts. I would
strive to look upon eternity alone, and on the immortal souls
around me, soon to be everlastingly miserable or everlastingly happy.

I would go forth to the world and preach to it in season and out
of season and my test would be, "What shall it profit a man
if he shall gain the whole world, and yet lose his own soul?"

When C. T. Studd, the great Cambridge cricketer of England, read
these words, they made such a tremendous impression upon him
that he gave up a legal career to go to the dark places of
the earth as a missionary. He says: " They decided me at once
to love only and utterly for Christ."

While reading his Bible one day Mr. Studd apparently applied
the story of the rich young ruler to himself and gave away his
entire fortune. At that time it was a half million dollars, and he
followed Christ in voluntary poverty. His last term of service
was in the hart of Africa for nearly thirty years without a furlough!

Listen to what Mr. Studd on Whosoever of you cannot renounce
all he has, he cannot be my disciple.

Don't seek a long life -- Christ had a short one.

Don't live in luxury, Christ lived and died poor.

Don't live in pleasure, Christ pleased not himself.

Don't live in fame, Christ made himself of no reputation.

Don't live at ease, Christ suffered for YOU the shame and
scourge of the cross.

Every saved person knows the truthfulness of the infidel's
comment. We know that there is heaven, and that there is a hell,
because the inspired Word of God tells us so. We know that
all of mankind is destined to spend eternity in one of two
places; those who accept Christ are saved, and those who
reject Him are lost. Therefore it is the supreme duty of
every born again believer is to work for God, and be a sermon
so as to "by all means some may be saved."

No comments: