Pages

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Our Constant Companion




Good Morning Everyone,

As I read David's devotion this week about his Father,
it made me reminisce about the past, which I often do,
and it reminded me of a concept my Mom and Dad
planted in my heart early in life.

When I was very young I was taught that wherever
I went, Jesus was my companion.
They taught me He was sitting right beside
me, would He be happy with the way I was acting?
Would He be pleased with the places I went?
Would He be happy with the companions I was choosing?
Would He be pleased with the words coming out of my mouth?

Jesus was watching. Wow, what conviction that brought
to my young soul. It made me think a lot more about
who I got around, which is so important, because
people corrupt us if we get around people doing things
that lead to paths of sin and unrighteousness. It taught
me to get around people that were wiser than me,
and could teach me, and that had moral standards,
and most of all who loved God.

It taught me that I needed to watch the places I went,
the things I did, because I was accountable to God.

It turned my spiritual character into God consciousness.
I was conscious wherever I went how utterly accountable
I was to God for every word and deed.

What a gift that has been to me!

As I close this inspiration today let me leave you
with a couple of verses to make you think about your
own life, and do something about changing whatever
it is you know you must stop doing! Remember we
only have one life, and it is passing quickly, this is
not a dress rehearsal!

Looking carefully then how you walk! Live purposefully
and worthily and accurately, not as the unwise or witless,
but as wise -- sensible, intelligent people.
Making the most of the time -- buying up each opportunity
because the days are evil.
(redeeming our time)
Ephesians 5:15-16

And He said to all, if any person wills to come after Me,
let him deny himself -- that is, disown himself,
forget, lose sight of himself and his own interests,
refuse and give up himself -- and take up his cross
daily and FOLLOW Me,
conform wholly to My example, in living and in need be
if dying also.
For whoever would preserve his life and save it, will lose
all and destroy it, but whoever loses his life for My sake,
he will preserve and save it from the penalty of eternal
death.
For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world
and loses his own soul?
Luke 9:23-25

For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.
Phillipians 1:21

My dear friends, who do you belong to? Are you
truly serving Him or yourself? He is with you every
hour, is he proud and pleased with what you are doing?
Do you have habits you need to give up? Do you
have companions that are leading you down a path
of sin? Are you so focused on yourself that you
don't have time for God?

Then if this is so, you have not picked up your cross
and followed Him, and this is the most vital decision
you will ever make. You must be born again,
repent of your sins, leave your old ways behind,
you are bought with a price, the blood of Jesus
that cleanses you of sin. Your life is no longer your own.

Act like it, live it, breath it, cling to it, live by it,
you are a child of the Most High God.

Love,
millie


´°`·.,¸¸,.·´°`·.,¸¸,.·´°`·.,¸¸,.·°°´·.,¸¸,.·´°`·.,¸¸,.·´°`·.,¸¸,.·´°



THE LAWS OF THE LIGHTHOUSE
by Max Lucado

The greatest day of lists is still New Year's Day. And the number one
list is the list I call the Laws of the Lighthouse.

The Laws of the Lighthouse contain more than good ideas, personal
preferences, and honest opinions. They are God-given, time-tested
truths that define the way you should navigate your life. Observe them
and enjoy secure passage. Ignore them and crash against the ragged
rocks of reality.

The wise captain shifts the direction of his craft according to the
signal of the lighthouse. A wise person does the same.

Herewith, then, are the lights I look for and the signals I heed:
- Love God more than you fear hell.
- Once a week, let a child take you on a walk.
- Make major decisions in a cemetery.
- When no one is watching, live as if someone is.
- Succeed at home first.
- Don't spend tomorrow's money today.
- Pray twice as much as you fret.
- Listen twice as much as you speak.
- Only harbor a grudge when God does.
- Never outgrow your love of sunsets.
- Treat people like angels; you will meet some and help make some.
- 'Tis wiser to err on the side of generosity than on the side of
scrutiny.
- God has forgiven you; you'd be wise to do the same.
- When you can't trace God's hand, trust his heart.
- Toot your own horn and the notes will be flat.
- Don't feel guilty for God's goodness.
- The book of life is lived in chapters, so know your page number.
- Never let the important be the victim of the trivial.
- Live your liturgy.

To sum it all up:
Approach life like a voyage on a schooner. Enjoy the view. Explore the
vessel. Make friends with the captain. Fish a little. And then get off
when you get home.
_______________________________
From In the Eye of the Storm

No comments: