Pages

Monday, December 07, 2009

Learning to be Thankful

Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.
For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:11-13

If I was to take a poll among you today, who could say they
were really content? That they were satisfied with their
possessions, their job, or any other area of their life?
Are you really thankful for what you have?

My guess is most of us would say no, we are not really
content. It is always us reaching for one more thing, or
looking at one thing we don't have we wish we did,
or that we had a better home, or always some sort
of negative thought about what we have. My guess is,
that if you feel this way about your possessions, you
probably feel unhappy about your relationships also.

Yet, truth be told we are so much more blessed than
many people, and instead of focusing on thankfulness,
we are focused on what we think we need, or what we do not have.

I am wondering if the massive debt most have accumulated
is due in great part to a lack of contentment, always wanting
more, yet unable to pay for it, they charge it to satisfy that
need, that actually represents far more than just what they
are buying or desiring. Yet it is enslaving them to someone
else for unpaid debt that they probably will not be able
to pay off for years, all because they were not content.

Do you think that marriages might be different if people learned
to love their partner for who they are and be content with them,
and pray about what they feel is wrong, or is missing from the
relationship? Could God, in all his great power and mercy,
not speak to your mate, and give them the desire to change?
Did nagging or anger ever change a marriage? Yet peace
can make a great difference in a marriage and home,
because we are content with what we have at this moment
and rejoice in it.

My friend, if you are not content where you are at, my belief
is that you are looking too much at the world and not enough
at God. This applies to many areas of our lives, such as
worry, and anger, and unforgiveness. We get our eyes on people
and not on God.

Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth.
1 Timothy 6:6

You see my friends, our FIRST goal daily should be time spent
with the Lord Jesus. In his word, refreshing our spirit, in prayer
speaking to him of our needs, repenting of things we know
we are doing wrong, and asking for guidance about things
troubling us. And then we leave those things at his feet,
knowing He is in control and has those answers.

Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said,
“I will never fail you.
I will never abandon you.
So we can say with confidence,
“The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear.
What can mere people do to me?"
Hebrews 13:5-6

My friend are you confident in God's ability to work out all things? Learn to be content with what you have, stop overspending, stop worrying, and stop looking at what is wrong with people find joy in each day, and count your blessings.

Learn the art of being thankful. Make this a daily goal, and watch
how it changes every dynamic in your life.

Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.1 Peter 5:7

Love always,
millie

No comments: