Pages

Monday, November 24, 2008

Input - The Difference It Makes

copyright Millie Plastaras 11/24/2008

I have read recently about the increase in
depression and fear in people. More people
are being treated for depression than ever before.

I thought this morning, we could talk about some
ways to defeat this. It is simplistic advice, but
something I have implemented in my own life to a great
degree of success. Most of my life I suffered
from great bouts of depression, and it was a waste
of my time. It robbed me of relationships, joyful
times with family, and even enjoying holidays or
getting out of the house and enjoying life.

What a waste!

Each of us probably watches a great deal of TV.
I would love for you to analyze what you are watching.
Get a pencil and piece of paper out. List the shows
you watch on a regular basis. How many of those
shows have positive input?

If you are a news junkie and watch a lot of news,
chances are you are getting a lot of negative input.
Fearful, and intimidating. Because right now it
is predicting financial chaos in the world. Terrorism.
Loss of jobs. Fear, fear, fear. All of this seeps
into your spirit and fills you with dread.

Let me tell you something... what you put into your spirit
feeds you. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. You must be
careful what you allow in your spirit.

Be careful what you watch,
what you read,
and who you get around.

Find something inspiring and hopeful to watch and read
daily. This does not mean you are in denial, this means
you are feeding your spirit. A very vital function.

In Philippians 4:8,9 we find some very sound advice.

For the rest, brethren, whatever is true,
whatever is worthy of reverence, and is honorable and good,
whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely
and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious,
if there is any virtue and any excellence, if there is anything
worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of
these things (fix your mind on them).
Practice what you have learned and received and heard and
seen in me, and model your way of living on it, and the
God of peace (of untroubled, undisturbed well being)
will be with you .

I once wrote a series on our focus. I made up a
sign and gave it to everyone for them to put in their house,
on their refrigerator, on the wall, someplace it would
be visible. The sign said "Where Is Your Focus?"

Each time we pass it it would remind us
to self check our attitude and focus, and correct
ourselves if we were allowing worry, or fear
or sadness to rule our spirit.

This is very important. Wherever your focus is, whatever
you feed your spirit, what people you allow to speak into
your life, affects your moods, your outlook, your hope level
and your actions.

My friends, don't let the naysayers, the fear mongers,
and negative people rule your spirit. We all have trials
and tribulations and sadness..but what we do next
is what counts. We can seek to dwell on that or we
can keep our focus on God. Trusting in Him, relying
on Him, clinging to Him, seeking and putting Him first.

We can also fill our lives with useful activities,
positive people, positive input and wise counsel.

Daily start your day with the word of God. Fill your spirit
with his alive, powerful, hopeful, inspirational word
that will go into your spirit and sprout hope and strength.

Paul also said in Philippians 4:12-13

I know how to be abased and live humbly in straitened
circumstances, and I know how to enjoy plenty and live in
abundance. I have learned in any and ALL circumstances the
secret of facing every situation, whether well-fed or going
hungry, having a sufficiencey and enough to spare
or going without and being in want.
I have STRENGTH FOR ALL THINGS in CHRIST who
EMPOWERS me (I am ready for anything and equal to
anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me;
I am self sufficient in Christ's sufficiency.


My friends if you cannot say this, you are focusing
on your sorrows, your weakness, your negative spirit
is overiding your hope. This is not good and you CAN
do something about it.

Rebuke that which is negative, evil, fearful and
receive that which is good. Here are some pointers
to help you start a new course.

1. Focus on good things, and hopeful things.
2. Get around people who inspire you.
3. Start your day with prayer and the word of God,
it infuses strength and hope in you.
4. Avoid shows and books that make you sad
and make you feel hopeless or afraid.
5. Find useful things to do daily. Set short
term goals for small projects to keep you
busy and feeling productive.
6. Do something for someone else everyday,
even if it is only a word of encouragement.
7. Forgive everyone, even if they don't ask.
Never carry a burden of unforgiveness into
the next day. LET IT GO.

I know that together in Christ we can make each day
exciting and new inspite of our circumstances,
because we choose to dwell on things that uplift, bond us
to good, strengthen our spirit and hope in Christ.

Our circumstances do not control us, our hope in
Christ and him dwell with us THROUGH all things infuses
us with his strength and makes us aware of his abiding
presence. How then can we lose hope. Our hope
comes from the Lord who made heaven and earth.

By the way, for those of you who are sitting there
saying you have no idea what I am going through. Let
me say this.. you have no idea what I am going through.
I am in severe pain most of the time now.. and have
many other challenges. I practice what I preach.
I do not give you advice, I cannot follow or implement in my
own life. We all have problems, the secret is
how we face them, and what we do next.

You can be a success or failure by your
own thinking. Which are you choosing?

My focus is on... Lord, what would you have
me do today, and what difference can I make in
my corner of the world. Rise above your circumstances,
savor life, and be a light. Make a difference!
You can only do this when you rise above
negative emotions and reach out and be full of
strength. Just do it.. even when you are weary.

For me to live is Christ.

love always
millie

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice,
of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but (He has given us
a spirit) of power and of love and of calm and well balanced mind
and discipline and self control.
2 Timothy 1:7

No comments: