Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Gift of A New Day, A New Perspective

copyright Millie Plastaras 6/3/2004



Today is a new day. What a gift, and what a blessing!
How then shall we invest it? It is a clean slate, yet
unwritten upon. I say this often, and perhaps you get tired
of hearing it. But for years, I didn't KNOW this. I just
took each day for granted, my health, my relationships.
Then one by one I started to lose people I loved, sometimes
to anger, sometimes to death, and sometimes they just moved on.

Important moments slipped through my fingers, unnoticed,
and uninvested. I took some of my relationships for granted,
and left compliments unspoken and deeds undone.

I learned some hard lessons about relationships
through my lack of wisdom, but each lesson taught
me deeply, and I listened!

The harsh realities and losses of life, taught me
to take a deeper look at each day, and each person.
And although I still miss the mark sometimes, I surely
look deeper, feel more strongly, love more and deeper,
and let go of the past and hurts much quicker.

If only we could learn this at 15 so we could absolutely
pack our days with purpose. If we could love
everyone around us, and help them, be there for them
in their time of need, never too busy to listen. If only
we reached out more quickly, and listened more alertly.
But most of all if we forgave everyone, even if they
do not ever ask. If we could just let go, take a deep
breath and move on.

That would be a life with no regrets!

When I was young my grandmother Boyd showed me
a article in Reader's Digest about how important it
is to say things to people while you can. That
soon those people pass out of our lives and we will
not have a chance again to say those words that
were needful and loving, and forgiving. I am so
glad she showed me that article, because I was
able to start changing, and learned to look at
others more often, instead of myself. It gave
me a fresh perspective of the bigger picture of life.

I said all I needed to, to my grandparents and my dad,
and I am so thankful I did.

My mom and I left many words unsaid and feelings unhealed.
Although she knew I loved her, we never resolved so many
important things or said the needful words we both longed for.
My mom passed away rather unexpectedly and I was
unable to say to her what I needed to, and I didn't want to
carry around regrets. So I sat down and wrote a series
of letters to my mom, and even pretended she was
in a chair across from me and told her what was in my heart.
It released me, and comforted me, and I felt like somehow it
released her and she knew.

My friends, seize the day. Make the most of it. Today is all
you are guaranteed. Live each day as if tomorrow will
never come. Express to those around you loving thoughts.
Look beyond their faults and see their needs, just as Jesus
does you. Be a light. Appreciate people for who they are not
what you expect them to be. Pray for them. Don't have
unrealistic expectations for friends or family, just love
them where they are, and for who they are, just as Jesus loves
you unconditionally. For who among us is perfect?
Be his hand extended.

Live long, love much, laugh often, forgive easily.

Love Always,
millie

´°`·.,¸¸,.·´°`·.,¸¸,.·´°`·.,¸¸,.·°°´·.,¸¸,.·´°`·.,¸¸,.·´°`·.,¸¸,.·´°


"10 Rules For A Happy Day"


1. TODAY I WILL NOT STRIKE BACK:
If someone is rude, if someone is impatient, if someone is
unkind... I will not respond in a like manner.

2. TODAY I WILL ASK GOD TO BLESS MY "ENEMY":
If I come across someone who treats me harshly or unfairly, I
will quietly ask GOD to bless that individual. I understand the
"enemy" could be a family member, neighbor, co-worker or
stranger.

3. TODAY I WILL BE CAREFUL ABOUT WHAT I SAY:
I will carefully choose and guard my words being certain that I
do not spread gossip.

4. TODAY I WILL GO THE EXTRA MILE:
I will find ways to help share the burden of another person.

5. TODAY I WILL FORGIVE:
I will forgive any hurts or injuries that come my way.

6. TODAY I WILL DO SOMETHING NICE FOR SOMEONE, BUT I WILL NOT DO
IT SECRETLY:
I will reach out anonymously and bless the life of another.

7. TODAY I WILL TREAT OTHERS THE WAY I WISH TO BE TREATED:
I will practice the golden rule - "Do unto others as I would have
them do unto me" - with everyone I encounter.

8. TODAY I WILL RAISE THE SPIRITS OF SOMEONE WHO IS DISCOURAGED:
My smile, my words, my expression of support, can make the
difference to someone who is wrestling with life.

9. TODAY I WILL NURTURE MY BODY:
I will eat less; I will eat only healthy foods. I will thank GOD
for my body.

10. TODAY I WILL GROW SPIRITUALLY:
I will spend a little more time in prayer today: I will begin
reading something spiritual or inspirational today; I will find a
quiet place (at some point during this day) and listen to GOD's
voice!!!

"But since we belong to the day, let us be self controlled,
putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and hope of salvation
as a helmet." - 1 Thessalonians 5:8

No comments: