Pages

Monday, July 21, 2008

Dwelling In Hope

Good Morning Everyone,

In this present world we live in hope seems to be a
difficult feeling to hold on to. The media is telling us
all the things we do not want to hear, hour after hour,
that the economy is failing, that wars are possible,
that gas is going to rise higher, groceries, and people
are losing their homes and there is not enough
money to go around. It is a picture that is gloomy,
and people who are polled say they feel helpless about
the whole situation, that they are very concerned.

It is interesting to note that in Matthew 24 Jesus predicted
such things, and knew they would come, and told us
to keep our focus on Him, and not our circumstances.

I have found in my own circumstances great challenges.
We are on a fixed income and everything goes up but
our income. We have health problems that really make
life difficult. My sleep is very compromised now by my asthma,
and when I should be able to go to bed and be refreshed, I often
find myself fighting for breath, rather than resting.
I suppose we could wake up each morning
and just feel resolved to it, or depressed by it, and life
would seem so dreary. But we have this one life,
and we have to find joy in it, no matter what our
circumstances are.

I have learned each day to find happy things to do.
I always go out and look at our garden first thing. Right
now we have a English Rose bush just full of bright
many leafed English Roses in a pale pink. Behind
that is a backdrop of vivid purple morning glories
with a magenta center. The colors are striking
and always cheer me up.

I listen to the laughter of my grandchildren
and savor the bright happy smiles they bring
to my life, and listen to the refreshing banter
when they say unexpected and funny things.
Their perspective on life is so refreshing and untouched
by the cares of this world.

I have learned to count my blessings, and find
useful things to do, and rather than focus on what
I do not have or what is happening to me, I learn
to look for the good in each day. Deliberately
focusing on it, rather than my circumstances.

What a sad way to live.. dwelling in the depths of despair
and not seeking any other way of thinking. Yet many
do this everyday.. they let their circumstances, or people
around them drain them, and they do not have a cure
for their thinking or problems. I have learned to fight
negative thinking and depression. It isn't that it
doesn't hit me sometimes, but it is that I fight it,
and seek with all my heart to overcome it and
enjoy my day NO MATTER WHAT.
I know God is with me. I know I can talk to him
all I want, anytime of the day or night, that He listens
and cares, and will guide me through these times
and provide for my needs, even when I cannot see how.
He never fails!

Paul gave some very sage advice in Philippians 4:8.
Finally brethren, whatsoever things are true,
whatsoever things are honest,
whatsoever things are lovely,
whatsoever things are of good report,
if there be any virtue and if
there be any praise, think on these things.

So focus on the good, your blessings, look for it, enjoy it.
Don't wake up in the morning and first thing focus
on your problems and feed those thoughts all day.
That produces depression and every hopeless feeling.

Make a decision to look for useful things to do,
to be happy with what you have, take time to love those around you
and to spend time in God's word to uplift and encourage
your heart, and to plant verses in your heart
that God can bring to your memory at your time of
greatest need.

Don't give up.

Don't let anyone or any circumstances rob you of your joy
and hope. You have this one life, make a conscious choice
to be happy and content in your circumstances and work
to improve them in any practical way you can. And for
what you cannot change, talk to your heavenly Father
about it and face it with courage and a spirit of joy. This
comes from Him. Seek it.

Love
millie

No comments: